Thursday, January 1, 2015

My Gaming Resolutions for 2015


This last year, 2014, was a good year for me when it came to reading and talking about RPGs. D&D 5e came out, which got me excited for the future of the hobby. A bunch of creative people put out very creative books and my RPG collection has ballooned. I had many great conversations with people online about games. I even got to meet some of those people in real life once I figured out I practically live down the street from them.

Unfortunately, 2014 wasn't a very good read for actually playing games. I managed to run a few games at home, but way too many of them were clusterfucks with way too many players and not enough focus. I did run my very first convention game at Game Con South Bend and that was an extremely positive experience. Although I missed Gen Con, the small local convention exceeded my expectations and I had a lot of fun.

2015 is going to be a year about playing and running games. My goal is to play in at least 26 games this year, which is roughly one game per two weeks. I think this is a manageable goal, but to be honest, 26 doesn't seem like enough games. I suppose there will never be enough.

I also want to make a big dent in the number of unused books on my bookshelf. Below are the following games I want to run or play in the next year, including the modules and supplements I want to use.


  • Dungeon Crawl Classics
    • The Chained Coffin
    • Peril on the Purple Planet
  • Lamentations of the Flame Princess
    • A Red & Pleasant Land
    • No Salvation for Witches
    • Qelong
    • Scenic Dunnsmouth
    • Death Frost Doom (provided anyone who was in my first edition run-though isn't present)
  • Dungeon World
  • Narcosa (probably in Dungeon Crawl Classics)
  • Wild Talents
    • Primogenitor 
  • Monsters and Other Childish Things
  • Unknown Armies
  • Warhammer Fantasy Role Play, Third Edition
  • Into the Odd
  • Our Last Best Hope
  • DC Heroes
  • Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space
Focusing on this long list will also help me focus on my third goal, which is to not spend any of my salary on hobby materials. This still means I can spend some bonus money, gifts and commission cash on games, but it also means I have to be very intentional with my spending. I was a little liberal with my purchases in 2014, and while this did not cause any financial hardship, it did result in a fair amount of frustration and limited mental bandwidth.  

This probably means I won't be going to Gen Con this year, but I think I'll be able to swing some smaller, local cons and hopefully play in this years Anti-Gen Con on Google Plus.

Here's to 2015.  This last year was a great year for tabletop gaming but I'm sure we can make this year even better. 


No comments:

Post a Comment